Tuesday 22 March 2011

Does Anyone Remember Paul Harvey?

     Today as I was driving home from the grocery store I heard a song on the radio.  I don't even know the name of the song, but I knew it was the theme song for radio, talk-show host, Paul Harvey.  I feel bad for whoever wrote the song and lyrics, because the song isn't remembered because of it's spectacular (or rather boring) music or rhythm.  It's remembered as Paul Harvey's theme song.  
     I remember it was a big deal in our family when Paul Harvey died.  It was almost as tragic as when he no longer had an airing on News Talk 750WSB, or was it 640AM?  When I was little, as in five or six, I remember riding in the back seat of my dad's Toyota and listening to "the rest of the story."  I didn't know or care what any of those boring guys were talking about, but I did know that we weren't allowed to listen to Neil Boortz; he had a potty mouth.
     As I grew older though, I didn't mind listening to Paul Harvey so much.  It reminded me of all those good memories I have riding around with Dad.  I used to love going to the city dump in Morrow, Georgia to drop off our trash.  Even though it was a terrible smell, it was so much fun because there wasn't enough room for me to buckle my seat belt in between the two disgusting trash barrels.  I think we even have a picture of me sleeping with my head resting on a particularly nasty rubbish bin; no doubt Dad had tuned in to Paul Harvey on the way home. 
     I remember our second 2,354 mile (I googled that number) road trip from Georgia to California and the one AM radio station we could pick up somewhere near Colorado was a life saver, because Aaron and I could stop arguing long enough to listen to Paul Harvey.  It kinda reminds me of the classic picture of a family huddled around the antique radio listening to the news and spending quality time.  You don't see that anymore these days. 
     I remember one Wednesday night we all went to McDonald's after church so the kids could play on the playground.  That was always so much fun up until some random kid ruined it all and they took out the ball pit.  The only fun thing left to do was see how long of a train we could make on the slide, and inevitably losing the caboose because someone's legs weren't strong enough to stay linked.  The grown-ups would talk politics, sometimes, and I recall someone giving my dad a book by Paul Harvey.  That was huge, because then we all got to see the man inside the radio.  He didn't look at all like he sounded so I pretend I haven't a clue as to what he looks like.
    You're probably wondering why of all the sights and new wonders here in Australia did I choose to write about Paul Harvey.  I just thought it was odd that his theme song was on the radio; give me a break.  It's the little things that send you on trips down memory lane and then you sit and look how much different the present is.  Maybe you have similar memories just because of the little voice from the radio; maybe you have a Saturday morning cartoon that brings back the good times, or a TV show that you always watched with your family.  Maybe somehow you can relate to this blog post and how one tune on the way home from the grocery store reminded you of a million memories.  To all of you who don't have a clue who Paul Harvey is, my most humble apologies.  To all of you who can hear his voice right now...

"This is Paul Harvey...Good Day!"

2 comments:

  1. Love it! We were Paul Harvey fans. When that voice came on in the car it was time to be quiet, didn't even have to tell everyone to be quiet, you just knew you had to hear what Paul Harvey was going to say. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I know we really never talk much but I've been following your blog and it's been SUPER! I love reading it and following along with your new adventure. I agree, I feel sorry for those who don't know who Paul Harvey is. Keep up the good work :)

    Amalia

    ReplyDelete