Tuesday 8 March 2011

A Day in the Park

     Jamie has been so busy trying to job hunt, and I've been working on visas and whatnot so today he took me out on a date.  Probably my favourite spot in all of Perth is Kings Park.  This park is especially significant to me, because not only is it a stunning view of the entire city, but it is where my romantic husband proposed to me.
     I packed the perfect little picnic lunch complete with polka-dot tea pot and cheesecake for desert, and on the way to "our spot"  we stopped at the bakery for some sandwich rolls.  Delicious.  Even better was our pit stop at the antique store where I found the daintiest, dressing table chair.  Of course I bought it, who could have passed it up, and I resolved to sit in the car with no further detours.
     Jamie and I usually have an extremely difficult time in the car.  Ok, I'll not exaggerate, we don't scream at each other, but we do often sit in silence whilst the other person's favourite song is almost finished playing.  You see, we have quite opposite tastes in music.  That's a conservative statement seeing as how country music isn't even a genre in Australia.  Give me a break people; I thought Keith Urban was from Australia.  Who knew his citizenship was on the line when he became a famous country singer at the Grand Ole Opre.  Excuse me, I digress...
     Today was different; today we sat a listened to our small list of mutual favourites and had a lovely ride into the city.  I remembered to wear extra sunscreen this time.  My first lesson about the hole in the ozone layer (I'm being serious!) just above Western Australia was experienced my fist week here, and now I've taken on the kindergarten theme song Slip, Slap, Slop.  In adult tongue this means Slip on a shirt, Slap on a hat, and Slop on some sunscreen.  By the way, if you don't wear a hat to school you aren't allowed to play during recess.
     The sandwiches were scrumptious, our afternoon tea hit the spot, and just as I remembered, "our spot" was breathtaking.  On the way home, we stopped to look for some writing paper and I got sidetracked at this great summer clothing sale.  Shopping is so expensive here.  How shall I describe it?  There isn't a Wall-Mart here.  They have Target, although it isn't owned by the same company, but the import prices are sky high.  $75 and up for a simple dress, and the part that makes me giggle is the larger the size the larger the price.  Talk about discrimination!
     On the way home we pass through a small town named Byford.  On particularly lovely days, the senior citizens gather at the Byford Country Club and play lawn bowls.  A small white ball is placed at one end of the lawn and everyone tries rolling their numbered ball closest to the the white one.  I was content to sit in the car watching them play and wondering just how long before someone trying to angle their ball would sprain a hip or lose their dentures when they squeal with delight and do their victory dance.  I used to say I wanted to be part of the Red Hat Society when I retire, but I've change my mind.  When I retire, I'm going to spend my Tuesdays at the country club playing lawn ball.
I need to go get dinner out of the oven.  We're having casserole tonight.  I want to leave you with a phrase that's been stuck in my head pretty much all day.

"Here's lookin' at you kid."

1 comment:

  1. Very much enjoyed your inaugural blog posts! I've been wondering how you've been doing. Marriage is enough of a "culture shock" and you're doing real culture shock as well. All the best to you!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete