Tuesday 10 May 2011

What's Cookin'

I haven't been very faithful to my blog.  I knew it would be this way, and my sister keeps asking if I've given up on it, but I have to have inspiration.  I'm sure you can understand that I don't wake up every morning, crack my knuckles, put on some spectacles, grab a coffee and start writing a novel.  It's not that easy to come up with a new adventure every day.  I started this blog to give my family and friends back home a little bit of insight into my life since I don't live next door, and so I would have a somewhat consistent routine like my garden.
I think in today's blog I'll start off by giving a couple of tid-bits you may not have known about me.  I love to cook.  Let me qualify that statement by saying I hate to clean up my mess after I'm done cooking.  I'm sure at least a few of my readers can relate to that satisfying experience of cooking a new recipe and being rewarded by someone at the table stopping after the first bite to say, "This is delicious."  It's just a warm feeling.  Also, let me clarify and explain that I haven't really been cooking for that long.  My mother is an excellent cook and of course I was raised to help in the kitchen, but having a big family and a couple of picky brothers, my experiences were limited and usually burned to a crisp.  I remember one year, Nathan was giving a sermon in Ozark, Missouri and it somehow tied into his sermon to explain to the crowd that once his little sister had left the sugar out of the cheesecake she made.  It was a mortifying moment because all the young men were sitting on the front row and staring straight at innocent me. 
Anyways, I've been branching out in the last few years and I've finally perfected chocolate chip cookies.  So it's been a bit of an experience being married and knowing that the evening meal relies solely on my talent.  It's been a lot of fun so far and if I do say so myself I've done pretty well.  At least Jamie is happy, and the few dinner guests we've had complimented me.  A huge thanks to my Aunt Dorothy who gave me a stack of recipes before the wedding, and my wonderful mother who put together a book of recipes from my grandma, sister, aunts and friends. 
Here are a couple of mine and Jamie's favourites.  As it turns out, they are lots of fun to prepare and even more fun to eat.  Note:  if you ever happen to meet two huge marshmallows from Australia, and they look kinda like what Jamie and Elizabeth used to look like, it's probably us.  Ha!  Just kidding, but seriously, if you're going to spend this much time cooking and eating, get some walking shoes and take your dogs out regularly.

Can't Leave Alone Bars:
Kitchen of Michelle Nichols                  Serves: 3 dozen

1 pkg (18.250 oz) white cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 c. oil
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. butter, cubed

1.  Preheat oven to 350*F (180-200*C)
2.  Mix dry cake mix, eggs, and oil.  With floured hands press 2/3 of the mix into a greased 13x9 pan.  Set remaining mix aside.
3.  In a microwave safe bowl, combine milk, chocolate chips, and butter.  Heat in the microwave for 45 seconds at a time stirring until melted smooth.
4. Pour over crust
5.  Sprinkle remaining cake mixture on top
6.  Bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned. 

(Jamie absolutely loves these bars and they are so so easy to make :)

Chicken Parmesan Subs
Kitchen of Jodie Battey/Hernandez (Rachael Ray)                      Serves: 6-8

3-4 hogie rolls (call them what you want...they're little sub sandwitch rolls)
2 Tbls.  extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves fresh garlic
2 can chopped/diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper
oregano
4-5 thin chicken cutlets  (I just use chicken breasts. To make them thinner cut the breasts in half and tenderize them with a meat pounder)
1 c. mozerella cheese (I use more than this but it's up to you how cheesy you want the subs)

1.  In a large saucepan, crush three fresh garlic cloves and saute in the olive oil until golden brown. 
2.  So as not to splatter, carefully pour the can of tomatoes in to the oil and garlic.  Add salt, pepper, red pepper and oregano to taste.  Let simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
3.  Cut the chicken cutlets into strips(kinda like fajitas) and place directly into sauce.  Cook chicken until tender or no longer pink
4.  Meanwhile, slice the rolls in half and place in oven to toast until light golden brown.  Remove from oven 
and use remaining clove of garlic to rub on the toast.  (this might seem strange, but the garlic melts like butter when you rub it on the bread)  Layer half the cheese on your rolls.
5.  Spread chicken and tomato sauce on top of the rolls and finish with layer of remaining cheese.
6.  Bake at 350*F until cheese is melted on top or until cheese starts to brown.

Enjoy!  This is finger licking good!

Chicken Alfredo
(I found this recipe on allrecipes.com)                               Serves 4

package fettucine noodles
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c. butter
1 clove garlic
1 c. thickened cream
2 chicken breasts

1.  While the noodles are cooking, saute the crushed garlic in the butter. 
2.  Add the parmesan and thickened cream, stirring until cheese is melted. 
3.  Cut the chicken breasts in half and tenderize them with a meat mallet.  Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place directly into the sauce.  Cook chicken through until tender and no longer pink.
4.  Rinse the tender noodles and compine with sauce in a large bowl.  Sprinkle some parmesan on top and serve as is.  Enjoy!


I hope if you decide to try any of these recipes that you enjoy them as much as I did.  Tonight I'm trying a new recipe for calzones and tomorrow night is cheese enchiladas :).  Wish me luck! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Elizabeth!

    I really liked your story about the Memorial Day Meeting. Just know that if all of the guys were staring at you, all of the girls were remembering their own flops and the brothers who broadcasted them. Oh, and the brothers were the ones staring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I've been lucky enough to taste these recipes after you made them. I think Nathan had better stop picking on his little sister because she is one good cook! And Jamie is indeed a lucky man. Wishing you more good cooking!

    ReplyDelete